Head of Lending
At Gen H, our mission is to give everyone the opportunity to become a homeowner. To achieve this, we’re building a home buying process that is simple, transparent and fair.
We are on a mission to transform the housing market: We’re broadening access to homeownership for aspiring buyers, simplifying the home-buying process, and promoting our customers’ financial wellbeing through the smarter management of their home finances. Backed by institutional & angel investors, we’re set for an exceptional 2023.
The opportunity is huge, and we are looking for people passionate about delivering fantastic customer outcomes. Working at Gen H means having high standards you set for yourself, working with urgency, and owning the outcomes of your work. We expect our people to be humble and communicate openly and honestly with one another.
And that’s where you come in:
We’re looking for an inspiring, innovative and technically brilliant Head of Credit Risk to help shape the future of lending at Generation Home, where managing credit risk is both an art and a science. Together, we'll push the boundaries of what's possible and redefine the mortgage experience for our customers.
Provide effective, first-line (of defence) credit risk management
You are responsible for all first-line mortgage lending activity, including credit strategy & decisioning, credit policy development, underwriting and management of first-line financial crime matters.
- Develop our front-book lending policy (criteria, valuations, responsible lending)
- Working with Product to identify and implement opportunities for the automation and streamlining of lending processes
- Portfolio management: monitoring and taking action to manage emerging credit issues
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with our funder counterparts
- Promote best underwriting operational and process management
- Working closely with servicing develop analytically driven but customer focussed collections contact strategies
Manage, inspire and develop a high-performing team
- Provide line-management to the Mortgage Underwriting and Financial crime teams
- Build, nurture and scale a high-performing, expert team with the passion and knowledge to create the next generation of credit risk management capabilities
- Maintain an ethos of quality, service and personal excellence within the team, create a positive learning environment, and cultivate a continuous learning and improvement culture, encouraging open communication, feedback, and knowledge-sharing among team members
- Define and manage key performance indicators (KPIs) to effectively track and measure what great looks like for a growing credit portfolio
- Build, nurture, and maintain strong cross-functional relationships with key stakeholders from product, sales, operations, commercial, legal, and other departments to ensure seamless collaboration and alignment on business objectives
Constantly pursue excellence
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop and implement new processes, tools, and strategies that drive efficiency, enhance risk management, and support the bank's growth objectives.
- Ensure all change is perfectly communicated and understood by all stakeholders.
- Foster a culture of open communication and continuous learning by encouraging exchanging ideas and best practices to drive ongoing improvement and adaptability.
- Support the team through periods of change by informing them, providing guidance, and addressing concerns to ensure a smooth transition and maintain team morale.
You would be and excellent Head of Credit Risk at Gen H if you are:
An accomplished and versatile manager. As the Head of Credit Risk, you'll develop and manage the teams responsible for all first-line credit risk management activity, from underwriting to collections strategy. You’ll have a great track record in building, nurturing and inspiring high-performing teams in a highly technical and regulated yet fast-paced environment.
A strategic risk management and mortgage expert. You’ll have experience in secured credit risk management across the customer and economic lifecycle. You’ll have developed lending and portfolio management strategies that use the latest advances in data, research and decisioning that support growth and the best possible customer outcomes.
An innovator and problem solver. Your passion for delivering on our mission in everything you do will be unwavering. You’re creative, resourceful, and thrive in the face of difficulties, constantly seeking new ways to make mortgage-led credit risk management more straightforward, faster, and effective.
What we have to offer
- £100,000-130,000 Salary
- £1,000 annual training budget
- Private Health Care with Vitality
- Enhanced maternity leave
- Mental well-being support: access therapy and mental health sessions through Spill
- 25 days of holiday plus bank holidays
- Regular Lunch and Learns
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- £300 yearly BEAM contributions on your behalf
- Remote working with two days a month onsite #li-remote
We want everyone to become a homeowner. To achieve this mission, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We would love to hear from mission-oriented candidates from diverse backgrounds who want revolutionise home-buying and who can demonstrate they have the skills and experience required for this role, so please do reach out! Read more about why we value diversity in our careers page.
Some final guidelines:
- Please let us know if you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or interview process.
- Please note that we only accept applications coming through our platform. We don't receive CVs or Cover Letters by email or LinkedIn messaging.