Senior Mortgage Underwriter
Everyone should have the opportunity to own a home. But the system is broken. House prices have grown faster than incomes for decades, and thousands of people have been locked out of homeownership and the opportunities it can bring.
We’re rebuilding the homebuying process to make it simple, transparent and fair.
How? We’re building a seamless, end-to-end homebuying service to help more people find their place on the property ladder with flexible mortgages and fairer prices. We bring market-leading service, competitive rates and our own conveyancing to support everyone from first-time buyers to home movers and remortgagers – all under one roof.
The challenge is huge, and we’re looking for people who are passionate about delivering fantastic customer outcomes. Working at Gen H means proactively embracing new challenges, working comfortably with deadlines and taking initiative. We value honesty and humility, and thrive in a humble, low-ego environment.
Harnessing innovative tech and the talent of our smart, ambitious team, we’re building a fairer mortgage market. If you can help us move the dial, we want to hear from you.
The role and requirements
We’re seeking a highly skilled and experienced mortgage lending and risk decision making expert to join our team, as a Senior Mortgage Underwriter.
As part of the Gen H Lending Team, this role is responsible for progressing mortgage loan applications from new and existing customers from the point of submission, through full customer and property decision and underwrite, to release of funds / completion.
As a senior member of the team, you’ll also mentor and share your expertise with fellow underwriters and broader team members (think BDMs, product team), fostering a culture of continuous improvement, technical and service excellence and innovation.
To be a great fit for this role you’ll be a(n):
- Seasoned lending decision maker. You can identify a good quality lending application at first glance, and spot red flags from a mile off. You’re inquisitively minded, know when to ask the right questions, and make robust and considered lending decisions based on facts, not assumptions, as a result. You’ll have owned and operated a discretionary lending mandate and understand the responsibilities that come with this, and will have deep experience in dealing with more complex application types such as self-employed, complex incomes (e.g. trusts, investment income), guarantors, lending into retirement, JBSP and more.
- Mortgage expert. You’ll know your CAMPARI from your canons, your red book from your AVM, and your UK Finance Mortgage Lender’s handbook from your standard offer condition. You’ll be needed to take an application from initial enquiry, right the way to completion, and so having a deep understanding of the mortgage process, the actors involved and the parts they play, and the regulations under which we are governed will make sure you’re set up for success at GenH
- Great communicator and relationship builder. We interact with our customers, intermediaries, and suppliers across a range of channels, so your verbal and written communication and broader interpersonal skills need to be on point.
- Advocate for change. As a growing, ever evolving and improving organisation, change is a definite constant at GenH! Being comfortable in the grey, able to flex to a new process at a moment’s notice and being able to move and change quickly and with confidence is key to your success and happiness here. This environment isn’t for everyone, so it’s really important that we make sure this works for you.
- Natural mentor. You’ll be committed to fostering the professional growth and development of your peers, and will be proactive in sharing your knowledge and skills across the business.
Your mission is to:
Act as the first line of defence for credit risk management at Gen H, by
- Making lending decisions that consider the full profile of an application and comply with Gen H’s overall risk appetite, policy requirements, internal underwriting guidelines and are within your mandated authority limits.
- Ensuring compliance with fair lending practices and applicable regulatory requirements, such as MCOB, Responsible lending.
- Verifying and validate the accuracy of the information provided on the loan application, either using documents, data or a combination of the two, including but not limited to income, employment, credit history and property related information
- Exercising discretion when necessary, recommending and/or approving policy exceptions when warranted by the strength of the case
- Using your understanding of the roles and responsibilities of all participants in the mortgage lending process, including customers, brokers, valuers, conveyancers, and others to know what is an underwriting decision, and what belongs elsewhere.
- Making sure that system records reflect your assessment, and that appropriate records of your underwriting decisions are maintained and audit ready.
- Meeting expected quality thresholds, responding positively to feedback and taking ownership of your own improvement and development.
Deliver seamless experiences, always, for our customers, brokers, colleagues and by
- Communicating effectively with a range of stakeholders, both internal and external), and across a range of channels to gather relevant information, relay decisions, and maintain accurate and appropriately detailed records of underwriting decisions and their supporting rationale. You’ll make sure that ‘what’ you are communicating and ‘why’ is clear and easily understood
- Prioritising effectively. We operate on a case management basis, meaning that you’ll have full responsibility for a portfolio of applications. You’ll prioritise and manage your own workload, and provide additional support to your wider team, to ensure timely completion of tasks, often balancing multiple competing priorities and deadlines.
- Consistently meet or exceed established turnaround targets, demonstrating a strong commitment to delivering high-quality work within the agreed-upon timeframes.
- Thinking ahead.
Constantly pursue excellence
- Actively seek opportunities to simplify, automate, or otherwise enhance underwriting processes while maintaining control and quality standards.
- Collaborate with others to share best practices and identify areas for improvement
- Actively participate in training and development opportunities to enhance underwriting skills and knowledge
- Stay current on industry trends and regulations, underwriting guidelines, and regulatory changes to ensure compliance and maintain expertise in the field
- Contribute to the creation of a positive learning environment: Cultivate a culture of continuous learning and improvement, encouraging open communication, feedback, and knowledge-sharing among team members.
- Inspire and support others to be better. As a senior member of the team, you will mentor and develop fellow underwriters and other colleagues, fostering a culture of expert practice. You’ll share subject matter expertise, best practices, and relevant experiences with colleagues to help them develop their skills and enhance their performance and professional growth.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of training sessions: Design, organise, and deliver training sessions, workshops, or presentations on specific topics or skills, tailored to the needs of the team.
- Collaborate with management to develop and implement mentoring and training initiatives that align with the organisation's goals and objectives.
What we have to offer
- Salary: up to £50,000 based on experience
- £1,000 annual training budget
- Access to the Gen H Wellness Strategy
- Private Health Care with Vitality
- Access to Bippit, an all-in-one financial wellbeing platform, which includes unlimited 1:1 coaching from a finance professional
- Enhanced maternity leave
- Mental wellbeing support: access therapy and mental health sessions
- 25 days of holiday plus bank holidays
- Regular Lunch and Learns
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- £300 Annual contributions on your behalf to Beam, a charity providing re-skilling for people affected by homelessness
- Remote working
We want everyone to become a homeowner. To achieve this mission, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We would love to hear from mission-oriented candidates from diverse backgrounds who want to revolutionise home-buying and who can demonstrate they have the skills and experience required for this role, so please do reach out! Read more about why we value diversity in our careers page.
Some final guidelines:
- Please let us know if you need reasonable accommodation during the application or interview process.
- Please note that we only accept applications coming through our platform. We don't receive CVs or cover letters by email or LinkedIn messaging.