Software Engineer (Senior, Frontend)
Phaidra is building the future of industrial automation.
The world today is filled with static, monolithic infrastructure. Factories, power plants, buildings, etc. operate the same they've operated for decades — because the controls programming is hard-coded. Thousands of lines of rules and heuristics that define how the machines interact with each other. The result of all this hard-coding is that facilities are frozen in time, unable to adapt to their environment while their performance slowly degrades.
Phaidra creates AI-powered control systems for the industrial sector, enabling industrial facilities to automatically learn and improve over time. Specifically:
- We use reinforcement learning algorithms to provide this intelligence, converting raw sensor data into high-value actions and decisions.
- We focus on industrial applications, which tend to be well-sensorized with measurable KPIs — perfect for reinforcement learning.
- We enable domain experts (our users) to configure the AI control systems (i.e. agents) without writing code. They define what they want their AI agents to do, and we do it for them.
Our team has a track record of applying AI to some of the toughest problems. From achieving superhuman performance with DeepMind's AlphaGo, to reducing the energy required to cool Google's Data Centers by 40%, we deeply understand AI and how to apply it in production for massive impact.
Phaidra is based in the USA but 100% remote; we do not have a physical office. We hire employees internationally with the help of our partner, OysterHR. Our team is currently located throughout the USA, Canada, UK, Norway, Italy, Portugal, and India.
**Please only apply to one opening. If you are a better fit for another opening, our team will move your application. Candidates who apply to multiple openings will not be considered.**
Phaidra is looking for a driven Frontend Engineer to be a part of our growing Product Engineering team. You will be part of our frontend team who build our web based self-serve product for industrial users. You are passionate about all things frontend. You live to deliver exceptional user experiences in the smallest possible download sizes. You demonstrate an exemplary level of ownership and no problem is below you. You lead the team from the front, establish best practices and insist on the highest standards.
The Product Engineering team at Phaidra is responsible for building the tools and applications that our customers use to configure and monitor our AI-powered control systems.
The ideal candidate has solid prior experience in frontend development. At Phaidra, you will:
- Contribute to the design and implementation of our frontend applications.
- Set the team standards and mentor junior frontend engineers. Participate regularly in code reviews with peers and help develop a strong engineering culture around you.
- Collaborate with UI/UX designers and provide insights from a frontend engineering perspective.
- Convert designs and wire frames into high-quality pixel-perfect UI.
- Collaborate with Product Managers and Solution Architects to intimately understand user requirements.
- Collaborate with Backend Engineers to incorporate APIs.
- Maintain high level of code and architecture documentation.
In your first 30 days...
- You will be immersed in an onboarding program that introduces you to Phaidra and our product.
- You will spend time in the Engineering org, learning how the teams operate, interact, and approach problems.
- You will read various parts of our handbook and familiarize yourself with the documentation culture at Phaidra.
- You will set up your development environment and start working on an onboarding exercise that will introduce you to various parts of our code base.
- You will learn about how we use agile and be able to navigate our sprint boards and backlogs.
- You will learn about various team standards and development & release processes.
- You will start to learn about our system architecture and infrastructure.
- You will start picking up few good “first-tasks” to get yourself accustomed to the end to end release flow.
By your first 60 days...
- You will have a solid understanding of what Phaidra does and how we do it.
- You will have met with team members across Phaidra and started building relationships that will help you be successful at your job.
- You will have completed the onboarding exercise and will be on your way to completing your first production task.
By your first 90 days...
- You will have been fully integrated in the team and with team members across the company.
- You will get a more in-depth understanding of our system architecture and infrastructure.
- You will have completed your first on-call experience helping monitor and improve our production environments.
- You will have become an expert with our tooling.
- You will have started to contribute to knowledge sharing throughout Phaidra.
- 6+ years of work experience.
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- Expertise in CSS3 (preferably with a pre-processing framework like SASS) & HTML5.
- Expertise in React and TypeScript or a similar modern SPA framework
- Experience using RESTful APIs.
- Experience with modern front-end build tools and pipelines.
- Knowledge of best-practices and architectural patterns for modern front-end applications.
- Knowledge of User Experience and Visual Design concepts.
- Excellent communicator, written and verbal.
- Share our company values: curiosity, ownership, transparency & directness, outcome-based performance, and customer empathy.
- Exposure to some industrial control systems and/or processes.
- Prior experience building B2B enterprise Saas products.
- Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform & Kapitan
- ArgoCD, Atlantis, Vercel
- Kubeflow & Ray.io
- PubSub, CloudSQL, BigTable, Postgres
- REST & gRPC micro-services
Base Salary Range
UK residents: £113,000- £126,000
This role will also include equity.
Benefits & Perks
- Fast-paced and team-oriented environment where you will be instrumental in the direction of the company.
- Phaidra is a 100% remote company with a digital nomad policy.
- Competitive compensation & equity with an early exercise option.
- Outsized responsibilities & professional development.
- Training is foundational; functional, customer immersion, and development training.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance (exact benefits vary by region).
- Unlimited paid time off, with a minimum of 20 days off per year requirement.
- Paid parental leave (exact benefits vary by region).
- Home office setup stipend and company MacBook.
- Monthly internet reimbursement.
On being Remote
We are thoughtful about remote collaboration. We look to the pioneers - like Gitlab - for inspiration and best practices to create a stellar remote work environment. We have a documentation-first culture and actively practice asynchronous communication in everything we do. Our team stays connected through tools like Slack and video chat. Most teams meet daily, and we have dedicated all-hands meetings bi-weekly to build strong relationships. We hold virtual team building events once per month - and even hold virtual socials to watch rocket launches! We have a yearly in-person, all-company summit in locations like Seattle, Athens, Goa, and Barcelona.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Phaidra participates in E-Verify, an employment authorization database provided through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA). As required by law, we will provide the SSA and, if necessary, the DHS, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization for those residing in the United States.
Additional information about E-Verify can be found here.
WE DO NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS FROM RECRUITERS.
Something looks off?