Software Engineer, Customer Accounts
Phaidra is building the future of industrial automation.
The world today is filled with static, monolithic infrastructure. Factories, power plants, buildings, etc. operate the same they've operated for decades — because the controls programming is hard-coded. Thousands of lines of rules and heuristics that define how the machines interact with each other. The result of all this hard-coding is that facilities are frozen in time, unable to adapt to their environment while their performance slowly degrades.
Phaidra creates AI-powered control systems for the industrial sector, enabling industrial facilities to automatically learn and improve over time. Specifically:
- We use reinforcement learning algorithms to provide this intelligence, converting raw sensor data into high-value actions and decisions.
- We focus on industrial applications, which tend to be well-sensorized with measurable KPIs — perfect for reinforcement learning.
- We enable domain experts (our users) to configure the AI control systems (i.e. agents) without writing code. They define what they want their AI agents to do, and we do it for them.
Our team has a track record of applying AI to some of the toughest problems. From achieving superhuman performance with DeepMind's AlphaGo, to reducing the energy required to cool Google's Data Centers by 40%, we deeply understand AI and how to apply it in production for massive impact.
Phaidra is based in the USA but 100% remote; we do not have a physical office. We hire employees internationally with the help of our partner, OysterHR. Our team is currently located throughout the USA, Canada, UK, Norway, Italy, Portugal, and India.
**Please only apply to one opening. If you are a better fit for another opening, our team will move your application. Candidates who apply to multiple openings will not be considered.**
Who you are
You’re a driven and experienced software engineer and data scientist, that has a passion for delighting customers with exceptional products and services. You are bold and creative, and have deep empathy for customers, who may not be tech-savvy. You excel at responding to real world customer software implementation challenges by researching, designing and developing solutions that improve the customer experience and make our products better.
You’re an organized, independent worker, and a dependable teammate. You have a passion to learn about different industries and technologies, and for helping customers operate their chiller plants more efficiently with Phaidra’s AI supervisory control system. Your expertise and tenacity will support the configuration, installation and continuous operation of AI Agents on our customers industrial plants, while growing customer relationship for future expansion and advocacy.
- As an organization, we strongly believe in expertise across the stack. As such, as you support our customers you will experience flavors of Data Science, Machine Learning, and Software Engineering. In particular, you will:
- Interact with components of the AI platform (model training, evaluation & monitoring and realtime decision making for autonomous control of industrial systems) and Data platform (distributed data processing and data health monitoring alerts).
- Perform DevOps duties of CI/CD and customer system release and deployment management.
- Work as a dedicated software engineer in support of the customization and deployment of AI Agents for assigned customers.
- After product deployment, continue to serve customers by helping to resolve product issues, improve system configuration and ensuring the timely and thorough resolution of software engineering related challenges
- Serve as the main point of contact for resolving all software engineering related customer challenges in collaboration with the extended Phaidra team to ensure an excellent customer experience.
- Review, prioritize, analyze, and resolve customer onboarding and support related tasks on a daily basis.
- Effectively communicate within the Phaidra organization and directly with customers as warranted.
- Work with Solutions Architects to resolve AI Agent related events for the customer.
- Work with our product team to continuously improve how we set customer expectations in order to deliver a better customer experience.
- Maintain clear and concise documentation of your research, communications, and actions.
- Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform & Kapitan
- ArgoCD, Atlantis, Vercel
- PubSub, CloudSQL, BigTable, Postgres
- REST & gRPC micro-services
In your first 30 days…
- You will be immersed in an onboarding program that introduces you to Phaidra and our product.
- You will read various parts of our handbook and familiarize yourself with the documentation culture at Phaidra.
- You will spend time in the Engineering and Customer Success organizations, learning how the teams operate, interact, and approach problems.
- You will set up your development environment and start working on an onboarding exercise that will introduce you to various parts of our code base.
- You will learn about various team standards and development & release processes.
- You will start to learn about our system architecture and infrastructure.
- You will familiarize yourself with all the tools used to manage customer onboarding and support.
- You will meet with the Solutions Architects, Technical Accounts Lead, and members of the Engineering team to better understand challenges and opportunities with current processes.
By your first 60 days…
- You will have a solid understanding of what Phaidra does and how we do it.
- You will have met with team members across Phaidra and started building relationships that will help you be successful at your job.
- You will have assisted in the resolution of customer software engineering related challenges.
- You will learn how to use our case management software and assist with managing our customer service agreements.
- You will have completed the onboarding exercises and will be on your way to completing your first production task.
By your first 90 days…
- You will have been fully integrated in the team and with team members across the company.
- You will get a more in-depth understanding of our system architecture and infrastructure.
- You will have completed your first experience helping to monitor and improve our production environments.
- You will have become an expert with our tooling.
- You will have started to contribute to knowledge sharing throughout Phaidra.
- You will have delighted customers!
- 4+ years of work experience in a technology company.
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, or related field.
- Strong grasp of Machine Learning (especially Deep Learning) fundamentals.
- Experience with production Software Engineering.
- Share our company values: curiosity, ownership, transparency & directness, outcome-based performance, and customer empathy.
- Passion to learn about industrial controls and automation systems, industrial process heating and cooling systems, and AI Machine Learning technology.
- Ability to translate a combination of customer-stated and customer-implied needs into coherent needs documentation for use by the software development team.
- Experience with both predictive and agile scheduling tools.
- Exceptional organization and communications skills.
- Experience with MLOps - Feature engineering, distributed model training, serving & inference, etc.
- Experience with building applications that can be deployed in cloud, hybrid or on-prem environments
- Strong expertise in Python
- Understanding of industrial control and automation systems.
- Understanding of industrial process heating and cooling systems and their applications within manufacturing environments.
Benefits & Perks
- Fast-paced and team-oriented environment where you will be instrumental in the direction of the company.
- Phaidra is a 100% remote company with a digital nomad policy.
- Competitive compensation & equity with an early exercise option.
- Outsized responsibilities & professional development.
- Training is foundational; functional, customer immersion, and development training.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance (exact benefits vary by region).
- Unlimited paid time off, with a minimum of 20 days off per year requirement.
- Paid parental leave (exact benefits vary by region).
- Home office setup stipend and company MacBook.
- Monthly internet reimbursement.
On being Remote
We are thoughtful about remote collaboration. We look to the pioneers - like Gitlab - for inspiration and best practices to create a stellar remote work environment. We have a documentation-first culture and actively practice asynchronous communication in everything we do. Our team stays connected through tools like Slack and video chat. Most teams meet daily, and we have dedicated all-hands meetings bi-weekly to build strong relationships. We hold virtual team building events once per month - and even hold virtual socials to watch rocket launches! We have a yearly in-person, all-company summit in locations like Seattle, Athens, Goa, and Barcelona.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Phaidra participates in E-Verify, an employment authorization database provided through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA). As required by law, we will provide the SSA and, if necessary, the DHS, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization for those residing in the United States.
Additional information about E-Verify can be found here.
WE DO NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS FROM RECRUITERS.
Something looks off?