Software Engineer (Senior, Test, SDET)
Phaidra is building the future of industrial automation.
The world today is filled with static, monolithic infrastructure. Factories, power plants, buildings, etc. operate the same they've operated for decades — because the controls programming is hard-coded. Thousands of lines of rules and heuristics that define how the machines interact with each other. The result of all this hard-coding is that facilities are frozen in time, unable to adapt to their environment while their performance slowly degrades.
Phaidra creates AI-powered control systems for the industrial sector, enabling industrial facilities to automatically learn and improve over time. Specifically:
- We use reinforcement learning algorithms to provide this intelligence, converting raw sensor data into high-value actions and decisions.
- We focus on industrial applications, which tend to be well-sensorized with measurable KPIs — perfect for reinforcement learning.
- We enable domain experts (our users) to configure the AI control systems (i.e. agents) without writing code. They define what they want their AI agents to do, and we do it for them.
Our team has a track record of applying AI to some of the toughest problems. From achieving superhuman performance with DeepMind's AlphaGo, to reducing the energy required to cool Google's Data Centers by 40%, we deeply understand AI and how to apply it in production for massive impact.
Phaidra is based in the USA but 100% remote; we do not have a physical office. We hire employees internationally with the help of our partner, OysterHR. Our team is currently located throughout the USA, Canada, UK, Norway, Italy, Portugal, and India.
**Please only apply to one opening. If you are a better fit for another opening, our team will move your application. Candidates who apply to multiple openings will not be considered.**
Who You Are
We are looking for a driven Senior Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) to be a part of our growing Product Engineering team. You are bold and creative, and have deep empathy for customers who may not be tech-savvy. You will be working in a multi disciplinary team alongside other engineers, product managers, solution architects and product designers. You will fully own the test automation design, plan and execution strategies to ensure the quality of our products.
The Product Engineering team at Phaidra is responsible for building the tools and applications that our customers use to configure and monitor our AI-powered control systems.
For this position, we are seeking a team member located within one of the following areas: United Kingdom, European Union, or India.
The ideal candidate has prior experience leading the design, build and deployment of automation solutions and tools to forward QA and DEV efforts within an organization. At Phaidra, you will:
- Identify, suggest and scope solutions for new problems.
- Lead and be involved hands-on with the development of automation tools and contribute to implementing the system through the whole development process.
- Work in a cross-functional development team, collaborating with designers, product managers, solution architects and engineers.
- Improve the system quality by identifying and preventing errors and bugs.
- Create comprehensive and well-structured test automation plans and frameworks.
- Manage the lifecycle of issues detected during testing, we use Shortcut for issue tracking.
- Plan and execute manual tests whenever necessary.
- Design, develop and execute automation tests.
- Implement regression testing when bugs have been resolved.
- Develop, document and apply testing processes within Phaidra.
In your first 30 days...
- You will be immersed in an onboarding program that introduces you to Phaidra and our product.
- You will spend time in the Engineering org, learning how the teams operate, interact, and approach problems.
- You will read various parts of our handbook and familiarize yourself with the documentation culture at Phaidra.
- You will set up your development environment and start working on an onboarding exercise that will introduce you to various parts of our code base.
- You will learn about how we use agile and be able to navigate our sprint boards and backlogs.
- You will learn about various team standards and development & release processes.
- You will start to learn about our system architecture and infrastructure.
- You will start picking up few good “first-tasks” to get yourself accustomed to the end to end release flow.
By your first 60 days...
- You will have a solid understanding of what Phaidra does and how we do it.
- You will have met with team members across Phaidra and started building relationships that will help you be successful at your job.
- You will have completed the onboarding exercise and will be on your way to completing your first production task.
By your first 90 days...
- You will have been fully integrated in the team and with team members across the company.
- You will get a more in-depth understanding of our system architecture and infrastructure.
- You will have completed your first on-call experience helping monitor and improve our production environments.
- You will have become an expert with our tooling.
- You will have started to contribute to knowledge sharing throughout Phaidra.
- 7+ years of work experience.
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience being embedded with a multi-disciplinary team and owning the QA efforts within it.
- Experience with frontend testing frameworks such as Selenium or Cypress.
- Experience testing Backend systems, Microservice architectures.
- Demonstrated experience in leading test planning, design, strategy and execution.
- Share our company values: curiosity, ownership, transparency & directness, outcome-based performance, and customer empathy.
- Experience with traditional Software Engineering - relational and non-relational data modelling, micro-services, understanding of event driven systems, etc.
- Experience in Machine learning or Rreinforcement learning projects.
- Exposure to some industrial control systems and/or processes.
- Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform & Kapitan
- Gitlab CI, ArgoCD, Atlantis, Vercel
- GCP - GKE, PubSub, CloudSQL, BigTable, Postgres, etc.
- REST & gRPC micro-services
- Poetry, Pantsbuild
Base Salary Range
UK residents: £113,000- £126,000
*Salary is location-dependent.
This role will also include equity.
Benefits & Perks
- Fast-paced and team-oriented environment where you will be instrumental in the direction of the company.
- Phaidra is a 100% remote company with a digital nomad policy.
- Competitive compensation & equity with an early exercise option.
- Outsized responsibilities & professional development.
- Training is foundational; functional, customer immersion, and development training.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance (exact benefits vary by region).
- Unlimited paid time off, with a minimum of 20 days off per year requirement.
- Paid parental leave (exact benefits vary by region).
- Home office setup stipend and company MacBook.
- Monthly internet reimbursement.
On being Remote
We are thoughtful about remote collaboration. We look to the pioneers - like Gitlab - for inspiration and best practices to create a stellar remote work environment. We have a documentation-first culture and actively practice asynchronous communication in everything we do. Our team stays connected through tools like Slack and video chat. Most teams meet daily, and we have dedicated all-hands meetings bi-weekly to build strong relationships. We hold virtual team building events once per month - and even hold virtual socials to watch rocket launches! We have a yearly in-person, all-company summit in locations like Seattle, Athens, Goa, and Barcelona.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Phaidra participates in E-Verify, an employment authorization database provided through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA). As required by law, we will provide the SSA and, if necessary, the DHS, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization for those residing in the United States.
Additional information about E-Verify can be found here.
WE DO NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS FROM RECRUITERS.
Something looks off?