Stitch is a payments infrastructure company on a mission to make it easier for enterprise businesses to connect to the financial system and build better experiences for their customers.
We are expanding the team to enable Stitch to broaden our product offering and extend our geographical footprint.
Reporting directly to the Director of Engineering, the Data Engineer takes ownership of improving the scalability, stability, accuracy, speed and efficiency of Stitch’s existing Data systems. In addition, the Data Engineer interacts with many business units, providing them with the data and insights they need.
- Design, implement, and support a platform providing secured access to large datasets.
- Analyse and solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
- Learn and understand a broad range of Stitch’s data resources and know when, how, and which to use and which not to use.
- Defines and builds data pipelines that will enable faster, better, data-informed decision-making within the business
- Architect, build, and deploy new data models that provide intuitive analytics across the business
- Manage and own the entire data processing system (internally, as well as interfacing with other teams or third party services), provide advice on any necessary infrastructure changes
- Perform all needed data transformation to populate a reporting optimised data warehouse
- Participate in building machine learning models, deliver analyses and insights to support business decision making
- 4+ years of data engineering experience
- Experience with data modelling, warehousing and building ETL pipelines, utilising realtime and batch processing techniques
- Strong first-hand experience with data pipelines and relational databases such as Oracle, Postgres, SQL Server or MySQL
- Strong business mindset and ability to grasp business requirements from stakeholders
- Knowledge of Machine Learning is a plus
- Experience in machine learning operations would be advantageous
Benefits & Perks
🏖️ Remote-friendly Work
We recognise and value the importance of enabling remote work and maintaining a globally distributed workforce. We cater to equitable employee experiences for both in-office and remote team members. We remain conscientious about ensuring a level playing field, especially around team events, business meeting practices, and office-driven benefits. While we facilitate remote work, we also see the value in bringing the full team together in person from time to time.
🎨 Stock Ownership
We believe in the power of ownership. That's why every team member becomes a part-owner of Stitch. Our employee stock ownership plan ensures that when the company thrives, you do too.
⏰ Time Off
Taking time off from work is critical to ensure that you can take necessary breaks and have time for important life events outside of work. It also helps you manage your energy better. In line with this, we provide a generous annual leave policy, along with supportive family responsibility, parental, study, and long-tenure sabbatical leave options, designed to accommodate the diverse needs of our team.
📚 Learning & Development Fund
We are committed to the professional growth of our team. Each year, we allocate $3,000 per team member for learning and development, supporting a culture of continuous improvement and skill enhancement.
🩺 Health Insurance Contribution
Recognising the importance of health and well-being, we contribute to health insurance for all team members and provide group health insurance schemes in certain jurisdictions.
To ensure our team has the tools they need, new members receive a brand-new Mac laptop along with the necessary peripheral equipment upon joining Stitch.
💜 Employee Assistance Programmes
We care about the well-being of our team. Our Employee Assistance Programmes provide you with the necessary resources and support to not only excel in your job but also to thrive in your personal life. Whether it's counselling, advice, or support services, we're here to help every step of the way.
Other notable benefits and perks
Celebrations for important life and work milestones
Daily team lunches in the Cape Town office
Annual work retreats
New starter dinners
Frequent team and company events