Stitch is a payments infrastructure company on a mission to make it easier for enterprise businesses to connect to the financial system and build better experiences for their customers.
We are expanding the team to enable Stitch to broaden our product offering and extend our geographical footprint.
The General Counsel provides expert and strategic legal advice to the board and executive committee on all legal matters relating to the business and its entities. The General Counsel will be involved in all of Stitch’s products, alongside any new product lines that are in development.
- Manage the tactical and strategic legal support related to products and solutions to advance Stitch’s corporate objectives
- Internally advise and work with our Product, Engineering, Business Development, Growth and other teams to develop a regulatory roadmap that allows Stitch to go-to-market effectively with its payments and data products
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide range of legal documentation that meets both local regulation requirements and product & sales objectives, such as customer / partner contracts, service-level agreements, and terms & conditions
- Originate and manage outsourced / localized legal & compliance relationships on a per-territory basis where additional advisory may be required
- Provide consultation and handle commercial law issues, such as partner agreements, tax issues, etc.
- Oversee the gathering of international documentation to meet external reporting obligations, whether facing regulators, investors, customers, or any other external counterpart
- Develop, coordinate, and/or oversee internal and external audit procedures
- Assist Stitch’s customers in mitigating legal and commercial risks by providing solution-oriented guidance
- A qualified lawyer with 12 years or more legal experience in payments & financial services, a solid academic and training background and licensed to practice in South Africa
- Experience across a range of commercial and technology contracts and the ability to analyze and identify the core legal issues, skilled at explaining technical problems succinctly and clearly
- Deep knowledge of applicable global and local payments and data compliance regulation e.g., GDPR, and open banking regulations
- A working knowledge of data privacy and intellectual property issues and how they relate to emerging technology in the payments industry.
- Familiarity with information security standards such as ISO 27001 and CIS Top 18
- Ability to develop relationships with relevant regulators (payments bodies, Central Banks or other regulatory bodies) across relevant jurisdictions
- Prior track record working cross-functionally to enable regulatory compliance across multiple dimensions of a high-growth business: within product (e.g. as counsel to product design and T/Cs), within business development (e.g. identifying ways to onboard partners and customers in a compliant way), and within technology (e.g. working with information security to build a robust IS org)
- A fast learner who can gain rapid familiarity with complex products, services and legal frameworks and maintain knowledge of those changing products, services and legal frameworks.
Benefits & Perks
🏖️ Remote-friendly Work
We recognise and value the importance of enabling remote work and maintaining a globally distributed workforce. We cater to equitable employee experiences for both in-office and remote team members. We remain conscientious about ensuring a level playing field, especially around team events, business meeting practices, and office-driven benefits. While we facilitate remote work, we also see the value in bringing the full team together in person from time to time.
🎨 Stock Ownership
We believe in the power of ownership. That's why every team member becomes a part-owner of Stitch. Our employee stock ownership plan ensures that when the company thrives, you do too.
⏰ Time Off
Taking time off from work is critical to ensure that you can take necessary breaks and have time for important life events outside of work. It also helps you manage your energy better. In line with this, we provide a generous annual leave policy, along with supportive family responsibility, parental, study, and long-tenure sabbatical leave options, designed to accommodate the diverse needs of our team.
📚 Learning & Development Fund
We are committed to the professional growth of our team. Each year, we allocate $3,000 per team member for learning and development, supporting a culture of continuous improvement and skill enhancement.
🩺 Health Insurance Contribution
Recognising the importance of health and well-being, we contribute to health insurance for all team members and provide group health insurance schemes in certain jurisdictions.
To ensure our team has the tools they need, new members receive a brand-new Mac laptop along with the necessary peripheral equipment upon joining Stitch.
💜 Employee Assistance Programmes
We care about the well-being of our team. Our Employee Assistance Programmes provide you with the necessary resources and support to not only excel in your job but also to thrive in your personal life. Whether it's counselling, advice, or support services, we're here to help every step of the way.
Other notable benefits and perks
Celebrations for important life and work milestones
Daily team lunches in the Cape Town office
Annual work retreats
New starter dinners
Frequent team and company events