Engineering Manager, Platform
Who we are
Our team is the first in the world to use autonomous vehicles on public roads using end-to-end deep learning. With our multi-national world-class technical team, we’re building things differently.
We don’t think it’s scalable to tell an algorithm how to drive through hand-coded rules and expensive HD maps. Instead, we believe that using experience and data will allow our algorithms to be more intelligent: capable of easily adapting to new environments. Our aim is to be the future of self-driving cars: the first to deploy in 100 cities across the world bringing autonomy to everyone, everywhere.
The impact you will have:
Wayve is developing next-generation driving technology, to enable autonomous transportation services. We are partnering with two of the UK’s biggest online grocery delivery fleets to trial live operations of our self-driving technology on public roads.
Machine Learning Platform is the team that manages compute (Azure VMs, Azure ML) as well as the training platform on which all types of ML models within Wayve train on. The team’s mission is to enable model development in a reliable and scalable manner.
As an Engineering Manager for the team, you will manage the team of 4+ software engineers on the Machine Learning Platform team within the Software Infrastructure organization. We are actively hiring and aim to substantially grow our software engineering team over the next two years.
You will set the technical direction of this team and ensure that deliverables align with company objectives. You will provide coaching and guidance to each of the engineers within the team. You will work with leaders across the company to ensure sustainable career growth for your team during a period of growth in the company.
This means you will:
- Define and own the technical vision, strategy and metrics for the team, aligning with Wayve’s mission.
- Work closely with team members to develop career plans and growth trajectories based on each individual’s strengths and weaknesses and their own aspirations.
- Improving the customer experience for users of the platform, in a meaningful and measurable way with KPIs.
- Evaluate technical decisions and help engineers reach consensus.
- Build resilient and reliable systems, and teams.
- Prioritize effectively and keep processes lean and effective.
- Partner with leadership to maintain a culture of impact, performance, and health.
You will be essential to Wayve’s mission, deeply enjoy what you do, take immense pride in being a part of something big, and love pushing the boundaries of what’s possible.
This role will be based in our London King’s Cross HQ for our ideal candidate.
What you’ll bring to Wayve
- Prior experience as a manager of Software engineering teams.
- Experience with roadmap planning, stakeholder management, requirements gathering and alignment with peers towards milestones and deliverables.
- Computing fundamentals - what makes code maintainable, fast, secure and reliable.
- Experience working with development of software platforms and infrastructure development.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar experience.
- Industry experience with machine learning technology development which has had real-world product impact.
- Experience in shipping features, pulling new developments to build an ML platform.
- Experience with cloud platforms, databases and distributed systems.
- Working with large scale data pipelines.
This is our ideal candidate, but by no means the only candidate; we all have different strengths. If you don’t match 100% but believe you could do the job well, we would love to hear from you.
- Competitive compensation, on-site chef and bar, lots of fun socials, workplace nursery scheme, comprehensive private health insurance and more!
- Immersion in a team of world-class researchers, engineers and entrepreneurs.
- A position to shape the future of autonomous driving, and thus bring about a real world deployment of a breakthrough technology.
- Help relocating/travelling to London, with visa sponsorship.
- Flexible working hours - we trust you to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Wayve is built by people from all walks of life. We believe that it is our differences that make us stronger, and our unique perspectives and backgrounds that allow us to build something different. We are proud to be an equal opportunities workplace, where we don’t just embrace diversity but nurture it - so that we all thrive and grow.
Something looks off?