Engineering Experience Manager, SDO
Who are we?
We’re building artificial intelligence capable of complex driving using end-to-end deep learning; one which can scale across diverse urban environments. Wayve is building a full driving software system which is data-driven at every layer, learning to drive. Our unique end-to-end machine learning approach learns to drive in complex, never-seen-before urban environments. We learn to drive with computer vision by both observing human driving, and by using reinforcement learning.
This is one of the world’s hardest and most impactful problems to solve. Which is why we’re building a diverse, world-class team of people who are motivated by the opportunity to work with brilliant people on challenging problems that leave a positive impact on society.
You are responsible for leading the Engineering Experience team that supports our engineers through: CI/CD, build systems, IT, tools, infrastructure, and the overall developer experience.
Challenges you will own
- Grow a team of IT engineers, software engineers and DevOps engineers. Ensure team members are having a strong impact and are set up for success.
- Collaborate with the team tech lead to define and then drive the technical roadmap
- Ensure projects are resourced in a way that balances the needs of the business with the needs of the individuals.
- Prioritise effectively and keep processes lean and effective.
- Partner with the leadership team to maintain a culture of collaboration, impact, innovation, and health.
- Grow the team as a hiring manager, to bring in complementary, diverse skill sets and backgrounds. Anticipate the needs of the business 18 months out, identify areas where additional resources are needed or we need to grow new domain expertise, and pitch this to leadership for investment.
- Contribute to the day-to-day running of the Software team’s operations and larger collaborative efforts.
- 1:1s across the team reporting updates or coaching through career hurdles
- Attend stand-ups of the projects your team is contributing to and see where you can unblock or help prioritise
- Work with the tech lead to define the technical strategy and ensure the timely delivery of goals
- Ensure project leads within your team are aligning projects with company goals and priorities
- Encourage bold ambition and risk-taking in projects
- Work cross-functionally to set the broader strategy and roadmap
- Review upcoming decisions and assess any dependencies or risks
- Debug teams and projects - ask the right questions, challenge assumptions, think creatively, eliminate possible factors that could be contributing to a bug, add feedback loops, and then assess feedback
- Work with leadership to communicate progress, blockers, and potential accelerants
- Assess general team health and look for opportunities to improve processes and best practices
What we are looking for in our candidate
- Prior experience as a manager of IT, SRE, Software or DevOps teams
- Professional experience in a leadership role with teams that have a heavy support load
- Passionate about fostering personal and professional growth in individual team members
- Experience with roadmap planning, stakeholder management, requirements gathering and alignment with peers towards milestones and deliverables.
- Prior hands-on development experience in software systems, build systems or IT systems.
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar experience.
- Expert knowledge of build systems (Bazel, make, …), modern CI/CD solutions (buildkite, gitlab CI, …), Linux and Python
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation with salary and equity
- Immersion in a team of world-class researchers, engineers and entrepreneurs
- A unique position to shape the future of autonomy and tackle one of the biggest challenges of our time
- Bespoke learning and development opportunities
- Flexible working hours - we trust you to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team
- Private onsite chef, in-house bar, lots of socials, and more!
Wayve is built by people from all walks of life. We believe that it is our differences that make us stronger, and our unique perspectives and backgrounds that allow us to build something different. We are proud to be an equal opportunities workplace, where we don’t just embrace diversity but nurture it - so that we all thrive and grow.