Engineering Manager, Embodied AI
Candidates sought for multiple Engineering Manager roles within our new Embodied AI tasked with supercharging our on road capabilities. These roles will be across our Data Sets and Model Development teams. These pivotal positions involve overseeing projects that blend artificial intelligence, machine learning, and robotics to revolutionise transportation. Responsibilities include guiding the creation and optimisation of large-scale data sets or developing advanced machine learning models. We're looking for leaders who can foster innovation, drive strategic initiatives, and steer teams towards achieving breakthroughs in scaled intelligence. Join us to shape the future of mobility and AI
These roles will sit in our Embodied AI division which will consist of modelling, robotics and data teams working with another group that provides ML training infrastructure.
You will need to grow the team according to the product roadmap on commercialisation timelines. You are expected to establish solid ML practices from the start, developing our autonomous vehicle capability roadmap with production-level quality data and models across the ML cycle. This includes training, tuning and debugging production models, informing decisions on how to collect and synthesise training data. The technology will be proved in multiple geographical areas and under an array of conditions (adverse weather, low light), working with a separate Operations team.
Challenges they will own
- Grow an already strong team of engineers and model developers.
- Ensure team members are having a strong impact and are set up for success.
- Ensure projects are resourced in a way that balances the needs of the business with the needs of the individuals.
- Bring technical expertise and experience to help accelerate our progress and decision making.
- Challenge the status quo (both technical and organisational/process).
- Prioritise effectively and keep processes lean and effective.
- Partner with leadership to maintain a culture of collaboration, impact, innovation, and health.
- Grow the team as a hiring manager, to bring in complementary, diverse skill sets and backgrounds. Anticipate the needs of the business 6-24 months out, identify areas where additional resources are needed or we need to grow new domain expertise, and pitch this to leadership for investment.
- Contribute to day-to-day running of the Software team’s operations and larger collaborative efforts.
- 1:1s across the team reporting updates or coaching through career hurdles
- Attend stand-ups of the projects your team is contributing to and see where you can unblock or help prioritise
- Ensure project leads within your team are aligning projects with company goals and priorities
- Encourage bold ambition and risk taking in projects
- Work cross-functionally to set the broader strategy and roadmap
- Review upcoming decisions and assess any dependencies or risks
- Debug teams and projects - ask the right questions, challenge assumptions, think creatively, eliminate possible factors that could be contributing to a bug, add feedback loops, and then assess feedback
- Work with leadership to communicate progress, blockers, and potential accelerants
- Assess general team health and look for opportunities to improve processes and best practices
What we are looking for in our candidate
- Prior experience as a manager of ML development teams.
- Passionate about fostering personal and professional growth in individual team members
- Industry experience with embodied AI development with real-world product impact.
- Experience with roadmap planning, stakeholder management, requirements gathering and alignment with peers towards milestones and deliverables.
- Prior hands-on ML development experience in an embodied area (e.g., robotics).
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar experience.
- Experience working in a project-based (“matrix”) operating environment
- Strong knowledge of Machine Learning and related areas, such as Deep Learning, Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision, etc.
- Experience developing machine learning solutions for Autonomous Vehicles.
Skills we need to test: management (growth, performance management, hiring, etc.), leadership, culture, understanding of commercial product development, ability to collaborate, communication skills, technical abilities (inclusive of things like when it’s safe to ship a product), and specific relevant domain knowledge (ML and Robotics)
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation with salary and equity
- Immersion in a team of world-class researchers, engineers and entrepreneurs
- A unique position to shape the future of autonomy and tackle one of the biggest challenges of our time
- Bespoke learning and development opportunities
- Flexible working hours - we trust you to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team
- Private onsite chef, in-house bar, lots of socials, and more!
Wayve is built by people from all walks of life. We believe that it is our differences that make us stronger, and our unique perspectives and backgrounds that allow us to build something different. We are proud to be an equal opportunities workplace, where we don’t just embrace diversity but nurture it - so that we all thrive and grow.