Engineering Manager - Machine Learning Platform
Who are we?
We’re building artificial intelligence capable of complex driving using end-to-end deep learning; one which can scale across diverse urban environments. Wayve is building a full driving software system which is data-driven at every layer, learning to drive. Our unique end-to-end machine learning approach learns to drive in complex, never-seen-before urban environments. We learn to drive with computer vision by both observing human driving, and by using reinforcement learning.
This is one of the world’s hardest and most impactful problems to solve. Which is why we’re building a diverse, world-class team of people who are motivated by the opportunity to work with brilliant people on challenging problems that leave a positive impact on society.
What you'll do
We are seeking an Engineering Manager for our Machine Learning Platform (MLP) team, responsible for leading a team of over six engineers. This role is pivotal in supporting our Science teams' model training and cloud infrastructure efficiency. The ideal candidate will foster a collaborative and innovative culture, aligning team goals with company objectives and driving growth in AI technology. Essential qualifications include experience in MLOps, infrastructure management, and a strong background in embodied AI development. A passion for nurturing team growth and expertise in roadmap planning and stakeholder management are also crucial. This role requires a balance of technical acumen and strategic foresight, making it ideal for someone with a blend of hands-on experience and visionary leadership in an evolving landscape.
- Lead a growing team of 6+ engineers and enabling company wide goals
- Deliver work needed to support all Science teams to train models and run cloud infrastructure efficiently.
- Provide a safe space for the team members to challenge each other and grow in their careers by intentional coaching and development.
- Partner with leadership, program managers and other peer EMs to maintain a culture of collaboration, impact, innovation, and health.
- Ensure goals of the team are aligned to company goals, and the team is set up for success
- Contribute to KPIs and metrics of the team, systems and tooling they provide currently. Intentionally invest in improvements that move the needle on ML engineers’ productivity.
- Provide technical guidance where needed and rely on senior engineers on the team where necessary to make the decisions that drive the team and company forward
- Anticipate the needs of the business 6-24 months out, identify areas where additional resources are needed or we need to grow new domain expertise, and pitch this to leadership for investment
This role will be based in our London King’s Cross HQ, but we are open to discussing hybrid roles for the right candidate.
What we are looking for in our candidate
- Prior experience as a manager of MLOps and Infra teams.
- Passionate about fostering personal and professional growth in individual team members, building inclusive high performing teams
- Industry experience with embodied AI development with real-world product impact.
- Experience with roadmap planning, stakeholder management, requirements gathering and alignment with peers towards milestones and deliverables.
- Prior hands-on Cloud Infrastructure and/or MLOps experience
- Experience working in a project-based (“matrix”) operating environment
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar experience (e.g STEM)
- Strong knowledge of Machine Learning and/or Cloud Infrastructure areas, such as Deep Learning, Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision,or Kubernetes, Azure/GCP/AWS etc.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation with salary and equity
- Immersion in a team of world-class researchers, engineers and entrepreneurs
- A unique position to shape the future of autonomy and tackle one of the biggest challenges of our time
- Bespoke learning and development opportunities
- Flexible working hours - we trust you to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team
- Private onsite chef, in-house bar, lots of socials, and more!
Wayve is built by people from all walks of life. We believe that it is our differences that make us stronger, and our unique perspectives and backgrounds that allow us to build something different. We are proud to be an equal opportunities workplace, where we don’t just embrace diversity but nurture it - so that we all thrive and grow.